Work starts on £4.6 million scheme at Dartmoor reservoirs
A £4.6 million scheme to upgrade three reservoirs on Dartmoor starts on 3 June 2013.
South West Water will be enlarging the dam spillways of Kennick, Tottiford and Trenchford reservoirs, near Bovey Tracey. Spillways are designed to release water safely during flood conditions to protect the environment and prevent damage to dams.
South West Water will be working closely with South West Lakes Trust, which manages public access and leisure at the reservoirs, and Dartmoor National Park Authority during the work.
Public access to the reservoirs will be maintained as far as possible but some footpath and road closures will be necessary during the scheme. These will all be clearly signposted.
The work will take up to 21 months and is expected to be complete by March 2015.
Project manager Mike Court said: "This vital scheme will prevent our existing reservoir dams being damaged by severe floods in the future.
"We will be maintaining access to the reservoirs as far as possible, so the public will still be able to enjoy this beautiful spot."
More information can be found at www.southwestwater.co.uk/ktt.
Notes to editors
- Works will start at Trenchford first and progress to Tottiford and then Kennick. Only one road will be closed at any one time, and diversion routes will be clearly signed
- Likely dates planned for road closures are:
Trenchford - 10 Sept 2013 to 21 Feb 2014
Tottiford - 10 April 2014 to 1 September 2014
Kennick - 01 September 2014 to 16 January 2015
- We also anticipate some works under temporary traffic control as follows:
Trenchford - 15 July 2013 to 4 October 2013
Tottiford - 9 December 2013 to 14 April 2014
Kennick - 2 June 2014 to 22 September 2014
- Likely dates planned for footpath closures are:
Tottiford - 18 November 2013 to 3 September 2014
Kennick - 8 May 2014 to 12 February 2015
These dates may change, but we will be keeping local parish councils and residents informed and publishing up-to-date information on the special section of our website, www.southwestwater.co.uk/ktt
- Tottiford was the first reservoir to be built on Dartmoor in 1861. Kennick followed in 1881-1884, then Trenchford from 1903 to 1907.
- Water from Kennick, Trenchford and Tottiford reservoirs is treated at nearby Tottiford Water Treatment Works, which is also supplied by Fernworthy reservoir, near Chagford
- Tottiford Water Treatment Works supplies water for more than 70,000 properties in South Devon, including Torquay, Paignton, Newton Abbot, Kingskerswell, Teignmouth, Dawlish, Exminster and Chudleigh
- In 2014 South West Water will submit its business plan for the years ahead to the UK water industry regulator Ofwat. We are inviting customers to find out more and tell us what they think our priorities should be at www.southwestwater.co.uk/waterfuture
Published: 30 May 2013
For further information please contact: