Find an approved plumber
When you are looking for a plumbing business, we recommend you select one which is an eligible member of an Approved Contractors' Scheme, such as the WaterSafe or the Water Industry Approved Plumbers' Scheme (WIAPS).
Using an approved contractor will give you the following benefits:
- Approved contractors are fully qualified to carry out plumbing work in homes and business premises. They have specific training in Water Fittings Regulations and Byelaws, which enables them to ensure there should be no risk from poor installation or sub-standard materials that could cause contamination of your drinking water supply.
- They will issue a 'work completed' certificate for their work, which provides a defense for property owners who are challenged by a water supplier enforcing the Water Fittings Regulations and Byelaws.
- For most types of plumbing work, plumbers have a legal duty to notify the water supplier before they start work and this can lead to delays. Approved contractors can carry out some work without the need to provide advanced notification to the water supplier.
- Approved businesses hold public and employers' liability insurance.
- There is an independent complaints procedure in place to resolve any technical disputes about how the work has been carried out, should a concern arise.
- Approved businesses will be required to put their work right if it does not meet the requirements of the Water Fittings Regulations or Byelaws, enforced by the water supplier.
- Approved businesses are audited to check they are complying with the rules of their Approved Contractors' Scheme.
Please note the individuals listed on WaterSafe or WIAPs are not employed by South West Water. The register has been provided to help customers find an approved plumbing business.
WaterSafe is a dedicated online search facility bringing together thousands of qualified contractors employed by plumbing businesses from the seven existing Approved Contractors' Schemes across the UK.
WaterSafe aims to raise plumbing standards by helping customers find the nearest qualified plumbing and heating professionals.
To search for a plumbing business near you follow this link.
The Water Industry Approved Plumbers' Scheme (WIAPS) is run by the Water Regulations Advisory Scheme (WRAS) on behalf of South West Water. This is one of the seven existing Approved Contractors' Schemes in the UK. Not all plumbing businesses registered with WIAPS have signed up to WaterSafe, so WIAPS may have additional qualified plumbers near you.
This website also includes a list of groundworkers who are qualified to undertake work on outside water services only and other specialist workers who work within designated sectors.
Search the WIAPS website.
The Association of Plumbing and Heating Contracters (APHC) operates across all of England and Wales.
Search the APHC website