The Programme Performance team are a specialist support function to many of the other teams in the Engineering and Supply Directorate.
One of the primary functions of the directorate is the management of a large capital expenditure programme maintaining, extending and improving our of clean water and waste water assets (treatment works, pumping stations, reservoirs and many thousands of kilometres of water and sewer pipes). This involves our Engineering teams undertaking many hundreds of projects each year ranging in size from a few thousand pounds to several million pounds in value all of which add up to expenditure of over £100m each year. It is the job of the Programme Performance team to support the capital delivery programme in a variety of ways:
- Ensuring that data on all projects is correctly input into our corporate systems by the project delivery teams.
- Using this data to provide information to the delivery teams, to Engineering management and to central management on how programme and project delivery is progressing.
- Monitoring compliance with company procedures related to capital expenditure including budget approval.
- Reporting on the performance of the various contractors and consultants who work on the many projects.
- Developing and maintaining many of the software applications that are used by the teams involved in capital programme development and delivery.
- Developing and maintaining information 'dashboards'.
- Writing procedures and guidance documents which assist staff in the directorate to do their jobs.
In addition, we use these skills to support other teams within Engineering and the wider business. Examples of this work include:
- Working with our colleagues in Finance, we developed and maintain the company's financial control procedures including developing smart electronic forms for budget approval.
- We developed and maintain a transport dashboard that assists the business in ensuring the efficient operation of the transport fleet.
- We developed and maintain a system for recording Health & Safety issues including hazards and 'near miss' incidents which is used to ensure that potential hazards are identified and then dealt with.
Finally we undertake various business process improvement initiatives.
As you can see from this, the work is very varied and requires an enquiring mind. If you have very good mathematical and communication skills and are interested in reporting on and influencing business performance this could be the team for you.