left corner image Our beachesCleaner seasCommunity blogOut of season FAQsBeachWise right corner image
Help & Advice
Common questions about 'new connections'

New or replacement water connections

image depicting  

If you require a new or replacement water connection from an existing water main South West Water can provide expert advice and a professional, efficient service.

New or replacement connections are normally requested when:

  • A New property (or a small number of properties) is built.
  • An existing property wishes to connect to our network for the first time.
  • An existing property is demolished and new property or properties are being constructed.
  • An existing property is on a common supply and requires a separate supply.
  • An existing property is divided into multiple properties, for example flats.
  • There is an increase in water usage, which requires a larger sized water connection
  • An existing water service pipe is relocated
  • A building water or temporary supply is required
  • A supply is needed for agricultural purposes for example a trough


Apply for a new or replacement water connection to an existing water main >>

Process and information

There are six steps in applying for a new connection:

  • Complete the application form and pay the relevant application fee
  • On site survey and quotation
  • Have your trench and service pipe inspected
  • Obtain water regulations approval
  • Make payment
  • Arrange the connection

On receipt of your completed application form and relevant application fee we will contact you to arrange an onsite survey. A Technician will come to the site to discuss the requirements and obtain the information required to produce a quotation, including measurements of excavation and reinstatement along with traffic management requirements. This information will be used by the New Connection Team to provide a quotation.

In order to have your property connected to our water supply you will have to:

  • Ensure that the internal plumbing complies with the standards now laid down by Government in the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999
  • Lay the underground private service pipe between the property and the boundary of the street in which our water main is located, making sure that the pipe has been laid to the required standards. Where this pipe passes through someone else's land, you will have to get their permission and arrange for a legal easement for the pipe in their land
  • Either pay our costs of laying a connecting pipe in the highway and making a connection to our water main; or arrange for a contractor authorised by the Highway Authority to excavate a trench in the highway and pay our costs of making the connection to the water main only
  • Pay a water infrastructure charge. This is a nationally set charge which provides for persons wanting to connect to the water supply to contribute to the costs of up-rating the existing system to cope with additional demand. 

Please click here for our current Developer Services Charges Scheme.

As an alternative to having new mains and service connections installed by us, developers can arrange for the work to be carried out by qualified contractors. This process is known as Self Lay. Please click here for further information regarding the Self Lay Process.

Fire Sprinkler Systems

For guidance and information regarding domestic and residential fire sprinkler systems, including our policy please click here.

Water Regulations

For more information regarding water regulations please visit Water regulations

Need an approved plumber?

We recommend using plumbing companies or contractors who are in a government approved scheme such as WIAPS.  For more information please use the following link (takes you to an external website)  https://www.watersafe.org.uk/

foot flourish image
  Anti-slavery statement | Site Index | Terms and Conditions | Privacy and Cookies | Mobile Mode | A Pennon Group Company © South West Water Ltd