left corner image Our beachesCleaner seasCommunity blogOut of season FAQsBeachWise right corner image

Diversion of water mains

image depicting  

If your development site currently has a public water main within it, a diversion may be required to allow your development to progress.

Anyone with an interest in any land which contains a water main or associated apparatus has the right to request the alteration or removal, including diversion (generally referred to throughout this document as diversion) of that apparatus to accommodate proposed improvement of that land. This right is granted by Section 185 of the WIA91, and extends to anyone with an interest in adjacent land where the presence of water mains or apparatus would hinder proposed improvement. This does not apply to water mains in any public highway.

It should be noted that South West Water does not allow building over any water mains or associated apparatus.

To divert a water main it will be necessary to complete Water supply (mains and supply) and diversion application form. We would recommend reference is made to our Guidance notes to assist in completing the application.

foot flourish image
  Anti-slavery statement | Site Index | Terms and Conditions | Privacy and Cookies | Mobile Mode | A Pennon Group Company © South West Water Ltd