Widemouth Sand (Bude)
Cornwall, EX23 0AH, lat/long: 50.79, -4.56
This large sandy Blue Flag beach with its adjacent rocky reefs provides good rock pooling opportunities. Backed by low cliffs and surrounded by fascinating rock formations. The bay is known for excellent surf.
- Benefits from the 1992 Bude Clean Sweep scheme which now offers secondary treatment
- The outfall from the works discharges to sea off Compass Point and is designed to protect bathing water quality
- There is a storm overflow from Madeira Drive pumping station. Overflows exist to protect homes, gardens, roads and open spaces from sewer flooding normally after storms
- Bathing water quality in this area can be affected by urban drainage and agricultural runoff.
Local activities and interests
- Swimming, surfing, rock pooling and walks.
- Parking at Widemouth Bay Car Park, Marine Drive, Bude.
- Food, toilets, shops nearby.
- Nearest Surf Life Saving Club at Bude.
RNLI Lifeguard service: For RNLI lifeguard season dates click here.
Good Beach Guide: Widemouth Sand